Thursday, September 12, 2013

Come and Gone

The last 5 days have not been the easiest for me. Watching my due date pass on Saturday, I've been hopeful every day that our baby will make his entrance. I read somewhere that 50% of pregnancies go over their due date, so I shouldn't be that worried or surprised.

On Saturday night and Sunday morning I was experiencing pretty regular contractions. My parents were in Utah and planning to stay with us already, so I thought it must be really good timing! The contractions dwindled as Sunday went on and I knew I wasn't really in labor. Every night since, like clock work, I get some strong, regular contractions. But when I go to bed they go away.

On Tuesday night I waited about an hour and half before telling Benj that I had been having pretty good contractions. I decided it was time to go to the hospital. We got there and got hooked up to the contraction and heart beat monitors. The charge nurse checked my cervix after an hour and reported no progress. She also told me that the contractions were irregular and that I wasn't really in labor. I saved my tears until we were headed home in the car. I was so disappointed.

Today I had a doctor's appointment. I was hoping for progress but preparing myself to be the same. Sure enough, I'm still at 2 cm and 50% effaced. There has been no change in the last 3 weeks. The plan is to go back on Monday the 16th and have an ultrasound. The doctor wants to make sure that there is enough fluid around the baby and to perform a stress test. If there is still no progress, he'll schedule an induction for later in the week.

However, there are good things coming out of this:

First, I have enjoyed and needed my mom with me this week. She has been so helpful and supportive. The kids are getting all the love and attention they need, and I'm not running myself ragged.

Second, I know that I'm healthy and the baby is healthy. I'm thankful to feel his kicks and I know that waiting is the right thing right now. In fact, when we first calculated his due date, we thought it was the 15th. Maybe that's the date he is shooting for as well.

Third, I have felt love and reassurance from my Heavenly Father. I believe baby boy will arrive safe and healthy. My faith and patience are being tested, and I continue to receive peace in my heart that all will be well.

Anyway, that's the update right now. We'll see when baby decides to make his debut.

1 comment:

Kiley said...

SO hard to wait - but glad you get some good R&R with your wonderful mother!